PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots falling asleep BEFORE they report.
Old 15th May 2004, 02:56
allan907
Nixor ut Ledo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I learnt about being knackered from that.....

An interesting thread - hopefully the SLF don't read it

A couple of years ago I had to pick up a C182 from
Meekatharra for delivery for major maintenance. The owner had flown it in the day before and I transitted up from Perth by Greyhound coach (the only means of transport available). This is a 12-14 hour trip and uncomfortable! The bus arrived at destination at 0130 but, no worries, I had accommodation booked at a local hotel and they were expecting a late arrival. Except that they had cocked up the dates and I was locked out.

After hunting round town for somewhere open (nil) and checking in with the local cop shop (no help) I eventually roused the taxi service and went out to the strip where I was told I could use the terminal building (Big shed really) which tended to be left open. With all the heaters turned on (very cold night) I hunkered down as best I could but with the cold and the discomfort I got no sleep at all.

I didn't have my night rating at the time but it wouldn't have made any difference. Fortunately I was wearing a watch which made the mandatory 4 instruments compliant! So as soon as some viz was apparent I cranked up the aircraft and leapt into the luft. The trip was about 3 hours and a fairly low sun shone straight into the cockpit from my side.

A couple of occasions I caught myself just beginning to nod off. it frightened me senseless

At overhead destination I was diverted to a nearby gravel strip (about 40 kms) as there were some problems at base and was told to wait there until I was called in. I explained that I was totally knackered and that I was unfit to fly and that they had better send one of the other pilots over to do the ferry back to base. I was told that no one could be spared and anyway, as it was only a short hop, it wouldn't be a problem.

I was kept waiting for over 2 hours before finally being cleared to fly in to base. OK, it went smoothly with no problems but I was awfully glad to get the wheels on terra firma. This is not something that will ever happen to me again Personal preservation and passenger safety (fortunately none on this flight) will always come first with me now.

Only you, the individual, can decided whether you are fit to fly but don't push on thinking that it will be OK. It could be fatal