PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FlyBe offload 30 pax on Glasgow - Belfast flight
Old 13th May 2004, 09:22
Puritan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FlyBe offload 30 pax on Glasgow - Belfast flight

BBC News is reporting: Passengers taken off plane
More than 30 passengers have been taken off a Flybe flight from Glasgow to Belfast after a group began behaving in a rowdy way.

The remaining passengers were flown to Belfast after a three hour delay on Wednesday night.

The 54 passengers had already boarded the plane bound for Belfast City Airport at about 2030 BST.

The captain then decided to off-load the aircraft in order to identify those causing the disturbance.

As a result, 37 passengers who were travelling in a group, were grounded in Glasgow.

The rest were flown back to Belfast via the international airport because of the later time.

Some of the passengers said the airline could have handled the situation better.

"I think it was a gross over-reaction from the pilot involved and in the current climate it is probably a product of the threat of terrorism," said one.

Another passenger said: "I travel with a number of airlines regularly every week and I would agree that this was a complete gross over-reaction.

"There wasn't even a request by the pilot or stewardesses for people to be quiet, to stop talking or lower the noise level.

"There was nothing which happened, other than people having a bit of banter with each other."

"I couldn't see any aggression or anything like that on the plane - all I heard was a few people cheering when someone moved seats and the next thing I knew we were all being taken off and delayed by over three hours" said another passenger.

Late departure

One of those on the flight said passengers had been "extremely inconvenienced" by the incident.

"This was all because of someone having a laugh and a joke on the plane.

"I couldn't see any aggression or anything like that on the plane. All I heard was a few people cheering when someone moved seats and the next thing I knew we were all being taken off and delayed by over three hours.

"The airline over-reacted and the worst thing was that no-one was kept informed."

Flybe said an investigation had already begun to establish what happened.

A spokesman said: "The captain discerned a strong smell of alcohol in the passenger cabin, and in the interests of passenger safety and comfort, he off-loaded the aircraft.

"Given the subsequent late departure of the flight it was diverted to Belfast international where passengers were bussed to Belfast City Airport on arrival.

"Passenger safety is paramount in all of Flybe's operations and an investigation is under way to ascertain the full circumstances of this incident.

"The 17 passengers who travelled should contact customer services in Exeter to seek a refund."
Without prejudice, might I say "Well done to the crew !"