PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age Discrimination - help needed!
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2004, 09:20
packsonflite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tandem Rotor

I used the illustration of 5 years as that is the difference between age 60, the limit that most airlines are currently enforcing, and the JAA ATPL age cut-off of 65; I can’t see that moving upwards In the short term. The whole point of the new legislation is that it gives people choice as to when they want go.

The assumption that everyone will want to continue beyond their current NRD is a misconception as illustrated by Mentaleena who can’t wait to get out. My experience has been that only a relatively small number of pilots will want to stay on for a few extra years.

It is always assumed that having reach NRD that one has total financial security with no commitments. It’s assumed that we all have the financial acumen of an investment banker, have been living for years on 6 figure salaries, have a yacht in the marina and at least one overseas holiday home.

In reality many approaching retirement still have young families and big mortgages to support, to say nothing of their continuing financial commitment to a first family; university education doesn’t come cheap!

It’s also commonly assumed that one has had a full career with the same company and that a pension when matured will have reached the Inland Revenue limit. This is also a fallacy. There are many colleagues out there who after many years of loyal service to the same company became unemployed because their employer went bust. In the worst cases they found pension fund had been plundered by the employer whilst in others they discivered that the pension fund had been seriously under-funded for many years.

Shuttleworth

Cheap jibe! My e-mail address is no different than you choosing Shuttleworth or someone else using Tandemrotor.

Morpheme

Many thanks for your support. I certainly have looked through the BALPA stuff and have also been in touch with the LTN Orange – still awaiting a response. My preferred option would however be to remain with my current employer.

As to some of the responses thus far, that was entirely to be expected!

Packsonflite