PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chopper 4 Crash in New York (incl videos)
Old 8th May 2004, 17:08
Roofus

Just Dropped In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blimey!

Glad to see they walked away!

I'd like to see the moments before the video feed picks up..... a dirty dive for speed is certainly consistent with trying to get away from a tail-rotor failure.....but watching the machine at the bottom, when he pulls pitch to arrest the decent, it doesn't seem to induce the massive rate of spin the Squirrel is capable of without it's tail-rotor.....
Gob smacking footage! But I'm gonna lean more towards serious hydraulic problems at this point! I guess the accident investigators will let us know in due course......
The crash worthiness of any squirrel has, to my mind always been a bit suspect.....look where the main gearbox is when the aircraft finally comes to rest! Now I accept that it's just been subjected to an unbelievable impact....but I've seen the main gearbox collapse into the cabin before! & that can't be good! Absolutely amazing to see people walk away from an aircraft that has completely disintegrated!

To the pilot.....I salute you! No matter what people say, no matter what you did....it was right for the day....everyone walked! Well Done!