PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fear of flying in a good friend, how can I help?
Old 5th May 2004, 15:20
Jetstream Rider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The sort of courses the airlines run may well not help here. I shadowed one recently and although I highly recommend it to anyone outside flying, it is probably not the sort of thing for your friend.

Basically the day starts with an explanation of how and aircraft flies and what the noises are. It also covers banking in a turn and how the wings are help on and stuff like that. Then later a psychologist explains the response of the mind and body to fear and how to cope with it. Finally they take you on a flight with a running commentary and lots of nice cabin crew.

There are other courses which let people sit in a simulator and see emergency procedures and let them have a go.

There is obviously more to the course than I can describe in a few lines, but the course will probably cover things your friend is well aware of. Also, it is tailored towards large aircraft. If you want some information, then post here and I will send you my email address by PM (don't usually use PM's, so no point sending me one).

Good luck.