PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mosquito ultralight helicopter
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2004, 14:31
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Thanks for that chaps.

I confess that I'm not all that keen on the idea of the MZ202 in there either - there are places for a 2-stroke running constantly at or above MCP, but I'm somewhat unconvinced it's in a helicopter - presumably they've been forced that way because of the US FAR103 empty weight rules, and, say, a de-rated Rotax 912 would make me feel much more comfortable!

Agree concerning directional stability (and pitch damping?), I'd also noted that there seems absolutely no form of A/V between the fuselage and ground, which may or not offer potential for ground resonance problems.

The attitude reference issue is interesting - presumably this is going to have static stability characteristics in the same ballpark as, say, an R22, and if that's the case, the pilot is likely to need all the help they can get.

We're a little away from lining it up against BCAR-VLH (and at present I'm mostly being asked whether it's worth progressing to any detailed design investigation); as I said, I'm mostly trying to find out any interesting scuttlebut. Nonetheless many thanks for the thoughts.

Any thoughts about the proposal that anybody flying such a beastie should have "at least" 10 hours (total) of helicopter flight training on a postcard to the manufacturer please

Cheers,

G