PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mosquito ultralight helicopter
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2004, 14:01
Shawn Coyle

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First of all, it's not the fan in my office... I wish I had a fan in my office some days, but the 50mph winds often take care of that.

My comment on this machine is that without a windshield or other structure out front ((which appears to be optional) it is going to be very difficult to orient yourself with the world, as far as attitude goes. This proved to be a problem in some autogyros, and as this appears to have a teetering rotor system, it could be a problem here if someone puts in too much forward stick too quickly. (I haven't studied the technical details)
In the clean configuration, I'd also be suspicious of the directional stability - there is not a lot of surface area aft of the rotor (which is where I assume the CG is), and quite a bit ahead of it. In forward flight this could be a bit of a handful.
There is only one picture with a fuselage of any sort, and no pictures of the fuselage version flying...
I haven't worked out the numbers yet on the performance, but I assume that the altitudes they are talking about are density altitudes.