PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AOPA - 4 Directors resign
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2004, 13:16
Bendo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil

Bushy

I am not trying to shoot you down but I disagree.

Can you justify your assertion that "most of the damage to GA has been done by Aeroplane sales people and flying schools"?

I have no facts or figures but I think it is an over-simplification. There is a market out there for aeroplanes and there is a market for pilot training; if the adage that "a fool and his money are soon parted" is a recipie for business disaster then the home improvment industry must be in serious decline too.

I have only been in GA 10 years or so but in that time the most destructive people I have seen have been enthusiastic amatuers making their "hobby" into a poorly paid job with no regard to normal business practice. This includes the young men and women who want to be pilots, are warned of the risk of not meeting their career targets but take the risk regardless. Many of them achieve their goals, and good on them.

I personally think these people - the hobbyist-cum-expert - are the source of the bitter & twisted young pilots out there - but that is another argument. They would also seem to be a source of much of the opinionated invective on "the other forum", and the malaise in the AOPA board as presently constituted. And one of them has caused more than a modicum of fuss when recently implementing his pet airspace system.

I can't help thinking Gaunty's assessment of AOPA's and GA's malaise is correct - like the posts from Creampuff about Strict Liability, you should read it again and try to understand.

regards

PS: Do you want mor LAMEs or more honest people? Can't have both!