PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AOPA - 4 Directors resign
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2004, 07:41
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bushy

As is your right.

I am amazed that you think that I have the power of divining the future, Mick Toller's surprise resignation didn't occur until Sept last year, somehow I was supposed to know this nearlty nine months prior.

It may also surprise you to know that I would have been invited whether I was an AOPA director or not, my GA backgound goes way beyond AOPA.

The fact that I was involved with AOPA, was more a complication, than a benefit to both parties and was the main subject of the early discusions.

In so far as your perception that I am "negative" towards GA, I understand why you may think so.

I have spent most of my working life in the GA industry which was very good to me and educated my three children through the best private schools and University as well as providing a very confortable lifestyle thank you.

I have been a standard setter in the industry, able to keep revenue rates at an seriously economic level. The last organisation I was responsible for made a profit of well over $1,000,000 with revenue rates 40-60% higher than the so called "industry" norm.
I am sure you would be delighted were you able to charge say $175 per person for your 1/2 hour the round the houses.

It is the people in the industry, fortunately getting fewer by the minute as their creditors close in on them, who think the only way of either expanding their businesses or predating other operators business is by underquoting, that I am and will continue to remain negative about.
They have done much damage maybe even unwittingly, but damage nonetheless. It will take some time, persisitance and determination to restore the balance

Most of those operators might think they have a business, but in reality it is just a paid hobby.
There is no difference neither is there any mystery between running an aviation or any other business.

Certainly costs need to be contained and we must always be vigilant on it, but in and of itself it will not make you more profitable, that is a function of your revenue over costs equation and your marketing plan.

I had planned and intend to carry it forward to bring the US industry wide www.beapilot.com programme to Australia.
Go have a look.
It has been hugely succesful in rebuilding the US industry and restoring value, therefore revenue to the product.

That is where AOPA needs to be refocusing their efforts not shouting at the regulator and Government.

It is a fact in any regulated industry, that when the correct revenues are being charged for the value of service being rendered the regulatory compliance costs are not an issue.

If the only way you can make a profit is not to pay the compliance costs or even reduce them by 50%, the hard unvarnished facts are that you don't have a business, just a hobby that is partly paid for.

If to you that is a negative view, then sobeit.

Next time I come your way I'll let you know and I'd be happy over a beer to tell how I tackled it.

If you are running out of time on the vote email Daniel he'll email back a form and you can fax it back to the returning officer.

Vote for me or not, please vote, AOPA's very life depends on it.

Last edited by gaunty; 3rd May 2004 at 08:31.