PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fear of flying in a good friend, how can I help?
Old 1st May 2004, 17:51
On behalf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Fear of flying in a good friend, how can I help?

Hello,

I am writing (genuinely) on the behalf of a very close friend who I would like to help.

This friend of mine has achieved a PPL and was some way toward a commercial licence but due to a very traumatic personal experience outside of aviation was unable to finish.

During this training my friend began to experience what they described as a growing and quite intense fear whilst in the air. It wasn’t a panic attack as such but an overriding fear and an urge to get on the ground as quickly as possible. It wasn’t a fear that the aircraft was unsafe or of an engine failure but in them selves.

They find it hard to describe so my apologies in trying to tell you about this second hand.

I have flown with this friend as a passenger a number of times and even straight after the PPL I was so impressed with their flying, confidence and RT. You could have mistaken them for a -professional pilot on the RT and it is so frustrating for me to see them on the ground with this fear. I have no doubt in my mind that my friend is and could be an excellent pilot.

I am about to embark on my ATPL and would love for them to be able to join me. They would to were it not for this fear of ‘what if’. I am going to be taking them flying next week to see how they feel but that won’t solve this problem. I wonder if you can?

What I would like to ask of you in this forum is if you have seen or dealt with any cases such as this and if so what I may be able to do to help my friend. Are there any classes or specific people who may be able to coach them?

It’s such a waste of potential.

All help is very gratefully received.

Thank you for your time,

Your sincerely

On behalf