PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this discrimination?
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2004, 11:48
November Whiskey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is this discrimination?

I’ve just been browsing PPJN.com and things definitely seem to be picking up which is obviously great news for all. However, I feel the need to discuss the subject of discrimination against modular students!

Let me say now that this is not about whether integrated is better than modular, nor is it about slating FTO’s and their marketing strategies etc. My gripe is that there are several airlines that clearly discriminate against pilots who have gained their licence via the modular route (myself included, obviously). We all understand that requirements for type ratings and thousands of hours etc. are valid ways of thinning down job applicants and gaining experienced pilots, but I cannot see why anyone of us should be excluded from job opportunities because they (for whatever reasons) chose modular rather than integrated.

If you put the theoretical concept of two people with exactly the same professional qualifications into other scenarios you could come up with racial discrimination or sexual discrimination. You may say these are far more serious, but if you’ve worked hard over a number of years, made sacrifices and not to mention spending in excess of 40k, I think that’s pretty serious too.

I would appreciate a healthy debate on this one. And please let me reiterate that I have no axe to grind against integrated courses or students…

Good luck to all!

NW