PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iraqi Over Flights
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2004, 10:52
DPWN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheelchock
You're missing the point a bit. All i asked was for views regarding the flying over Iraq and what to do if there was a full emergency and a decent initiated, and to where. I fly all over the country on a regular basis on both military and civilian aircraft so i fully understand the safe practices associated with flying in Iraqi airspace both at high and low level. I never said flying at altitude over Iraq is unsafe because i know that it is as safe as it's going to get. Its just the going down bit that sometimes isn't, which in theory could happen to an aircraft in distress. That is the only point i am trying to make.

And why do people believe that all the Iraqi militia live in and around Baghdad?

FYI i have read the AIP and many other documents, not much to do during a typical evening in Iraq!!, and i also have read the overflight application form issued by RAMCC.

Please see the diclaimer below that is at the top of the overflight application form filled out by all airlines wanting to fly over Iraq.

"WARNING: All operators are advised that there are ongoing military flight operations in Iraq. There are continuing reports of indiscriminate missile attacks on aircraft operating in Iraq, primarily at low altitudes but occasionally at high altitudes. Therefore, operators undertaking flights within the Baghdad FIR shall do so at their own risk. Operators should review NOTAMs regularly for any changes that may affect the information contained within this document.
"

Is an airline really considering the needs of the pax on board when filling out this document, or could cost savings be involved? I wonder?