PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you really Want to Do This...??
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2004, 22:21
Finals19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very interesting thread....and I am gonna throw in another perspective here -

I worked for the UK's biggest for six years - not as a pilot but as Cabin Crew. In this six years, my job was basically my whole life - especially on L/Haul as I am sure all the Longhaul guys on here will attest to. I saw and experienced at first hand the working conditions and daily issues between company and onboard crews. Yes, the conditions could have arguably been better, yes people moaned, and yes in all honesty the conditions have detiorated over the years.

However, I believe that any form of aviation work (notably on board) is a passion and that is what keeps us in it. As mentioned, the feeling you get when you are sitting up there at 30 something thousand looking out over some spectacular scene (be it the Swiss Alps or the Canadian Rockies) makes you glad that you are not in the 9-5 office based / train platform syndrome. And as you are on short finals over the M25 (or on the climb out) and you look down and see all those guys bumper to bumper, I think you realise you are in a pretty unique world. I know it sounds romanticised, but its the reality in my opinion.

Yes, it can be lonely (as Scroggs said) and relationships are very hard to hold down. Its something you learn to deal with I think. The loneliness can get to you at times, and that is hard. But ask the majority of airline crew if they would change their jobs and most would say definitely not.

I am temporarily out of the loop. And I miss it badly. I think its in the blood - a real passion. I have just completed my CPL/MEIR and am now looking at ways of getting back in as a pilot, since as cabin crew I was totally bitten by the desire to fly. So, all you wannabees, I say to you go for it, because (as noted previously on here) if its in your blood you are always going to regret not giving it a shot. It can be done! (and for my own sake, I have to believe that!! )