PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - new longhaul fleet for Aer Lingus
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2004, 19:30
SNNEI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tom,

Would be great, but I doubt EI is the one to do it with the emphasis seeming to be lower fares with maximum number of bums on seats

In any case, I think Cork in particular can support a 332 at least to NY, if perhaps the flight continued on to Belfast. It was done on the Shannon-NY service as you will probably re-call.

SNN originating PAX numbers on services to the US are not as bad as some would have you believe. Aerlingus get about 40% of US passengers as SNN originating, so the market is there without question (I would at this juncture like to point out to all that I am 100% against the Shannon stopover!) Thats 400,000 pax per annum approximatly, and of course this does not include CO, DL or US.

Knock in my estimation probably could also support a US service given a few more years of development, with CO probably having what it takes in terms of aircraft (757)and U.S hub.

Aerlingus should also be able to operate to Asia within a short while using the A332 I reckon.

One route I would definitely point out where EI probably would do very well with the kind of operation you are suggesting is Dublin- San Jose california. With the computer industry links between Ireland and Silicon valley, even San Jose airport authority has identified it as a service with potential. In reality it would be the perfect route for say an A319LR. Mostly business Pax.....