PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am i really gonna have to pay 6 Grand!!!
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2004, 16:36
MLS-12D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Go to a club that doesn't charge so much (i.e. oop north) like I did. My school currently charges £75 per hour dual in a (well maintained) C150, incl VAT, landings etc. At 45 hours that's £3375, plus your ground school, exams etc, so should be doable at around £4500.
24Right assumes that a student gets to the checkride with only 45 hours of combined dual and solo time. This is certainly possible, if one has reasonable aptitude, good instruction, and undergoes training on a regular basis. Unfortunately, those criteria are not always present. In particular, poor weather, limited cash, other personal commitments, and unavailability of instructor or aircraft often combine to stretch training out over a prolonged period, so that much material has to be relearned. Most honest flying schools or instructors will confirm that the average time to a PPL is closer to 60 hours than 45; and one would be prudent to budget accordingly.

Sans Anoraque: With the nonsensical red tape imposed post 9/11, taking instruction in Canada, S. Africa or Australia would be more hassle-free than the good ole USA. Yes, hurdles in the States are surmountable, but why bother?