PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Surveillance Radar Approach - LHR
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2004, 19:46
caniplaywithmadness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paracab,

A Surveillance Radar Approach (SRA), is an approach made by an aircraft throughout which the controller talks to the pilot to position him on the final approach track and descend at a given rate from a given point to be in a certain position (normally 2 miles from the threshold), on the centreline to acquire the runway visually and continue visually.

It goes something like this:

ATC: Vectors for a Surveillance Radar Approach rwyxx, terminating a 2 miles from touchdown, check your minima, step down fix and missed approach point

ATC: Report runway or approach lights in sight, after landing contacting tower on xxx.xx

A/C: Roger, vectors SRA xx checked

ATC: Turn left/right, heading xxx closing final approach track from left/right

A/C left/right xxx

ATC: Left of final approach track, closing nicely 8 miles from touchdown check wheels

A/C: Roger down and locked

ATC: Left of final approach track closing nicely, 7 miles commence descent now to maintain a x degree glidepath QNH/QFE xxxx

A/c roger

ATC still left closing nicely, altitude passing should be xxxxft

this continues until

ATC: On final approach track 3 miles, altitude passing should be xxxft, check minmium descent altitude

A/C Checked

ATC: 2 miles on final approach track altitude passing should be xxxft, cleared to land rwyxx

A/C roger cleared to land

ATC: Approach complete radar out

Some units are equipped to perform what is (or was) know as a PAR which also includes relevant glideslope information, this is commonly known as a "Talkdown", the controler tells the pilot what to do, the pilot does it and doesn't speak, this is accurate right down to touchdown

The SRA is practised by controllers to stay current under the terms of their licence, some of us are lucky enough to do a whole lot more than the minimum required to stay current each year (My thanks to Loganair for keeping me going)

Personally I love them, although the comments by the shuttle pilot on my radar board when he stated that "heven't done one for ages, should be good for a laugh" didn't go down too well with a very nervous candidate at the time but well appreciated afterwards