PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pax flying nerves - what to do?
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2004, 20:00
bealine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even though I’ve always loved airplanes, and I’ve been flying since I was born, I started to develop a fear of flying in the mid 90’s
This is much more common than a lot of people realise, and I have even known a Cabin Crew member to succumb to the onset of irrational fear. He said, in his case, it was the simple fact that he was placing his life and limbs in someone else's hands and he had no control over the aeroplane, or his own destiny. He knew by the statistics that flying is the safest form of travel, but fear eventually overcame his logic. He worked on the ground at Gatwick for a couple of years, and then graduated to Waterworld (affectionate euphemism for BA's Head Office)!

(BTW, said ex-Cabin Crew member has managed to regain some confidence and flew with his family for a holiday last year!)

It may be some comfort to you nervous people to know that for every one of you that grits your teeth and goes through with the ordeal, five stay at home and won't even book a flight - so, for your bravery, we salute you!