PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am i really gonna have to pay 6 Grand!!!
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2004, 19:26
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's a nother way of looking at it....

Can you afford around £100 a week, maybe a bit more these days? To have something to do at weekends that you look forward to all week? Something that's fun, and a challenge, and a social occasion too?

Everyone says don't just book one lesson a week, because It'll take you longer to get your PPL. That's probably true. But does it matter? It also means you have something to look forward to, that isn't costing you a fortune, that just becomes a part of your normal social life. You have time to do the ground exams, without huge amount so of pressure.

Sure, you'll miss some lessons due to bad weather. but you haven't paid for them, so then you can think about maybe having two lessons a week when the weather gets better. And if it takes you longer to get your PPL, so what? What will you do while you're a student? Answer - fly. What will you do when you have your PPL? Answer - fly? And probably wonder what you should do next, and think about further qualifications and ratings, because the novelty of boring holes in the sky starts to wear a bit thin.

Don't think about the total cost. Think about whether you can afford £100+ a week for a fun day out. And if you weren't flying on that day, you'd probably be spending the money doing something else.

I did my PPL(A) that way and I still think it's a good idea.