PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Infants In Business Class
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2004, 13:32
sixmilehighclub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm, similar to a scenario I once heard of when a pax in club complained when the CC offered the pax behind her a spray of a perfume tester, she complained it was affecting her sense of smell. The CC asked if madam would in future be better off taking her own private jet?

You pays your money, you takes your choice!

All pax pay a similar amount to travel, depending on your ticket supplier, its not fair someone should have to travel in a lower class just because they chose to have kids. It may be annoying when you want peace and relaxation but then maybe so does the mother or child???

Anyone can book club or first providing they can afford it, it is not an exclusive club.

Any airline who may one day announce a childban, is (I feel) risking their whole image of being a caring airline!! Especially whereas most flights I used to operate would carry on average up to 10% children under 10.

Whenever I had the time as CC, I used to take troublesome or upset children and wonder up and down the cabin with them, to try and calm them down. It gave the mother a rest and diverted the child away from their boredom.
Children get upset because they sense their mother or father is harassed from a previous 5 hour journey, delays, uncomfortablensss, lack of rest..... Often children suffer with ear problems after climb and at descent, whch can ache the entire flight if not balanced out to match the cabin pressure, and they dont understand why they are hurting or cant speak to tell someone!

ANYWAY, HERE'S SOME HINTS FOR TRAVELLING WITH KIDS......

EAR PROBS:
Adults & Children: A good remedy for this is a few drops of olbas oil on a tissue in a cup or doubled up plastiglass, then soaked in a little hot water, then close nose around top, close your eyes and inhale for as long as possible (apologies for the temporary smell in the cabin) DO NOT TIP UP THE CUP!! Then blow nose!
Young children & babies: A few drops of karvol oil on a hanky inhaled 30 mins before flight, or during a flight especially if they have a cold, or if during climb/descent then try a dummy/pacifier or a bottle).
Adults not travelling with children complaining about crying children: Buy earplugs, insert into ears, enjoy your flight.

TRAPPED WIND/ STOMACH CRAMPS:
Bend yourself over your left knee or massage left hand side of abdomen (once again, apologies for the temporary smell in the cabin - so take yourself off to the loo compartment, they have airvents!!) If you think an infant has tummy ache, pat their stomach gently, it seems to give reassurance.

Always carry calpol or similar, the sachets are very handy!!

KEEPING THEM BUSY.....
Ensure you have adequate entertainment for kids, crayons are good, travel connect 4, comics, puzzle books, walkmans for older kids (please be careful you limit the volume, the listener will have background noise so will want to turn it up, not good for the ears!)
Baby toys are great, especially if they are teething and need something to bite on, but be considerate and make sure its not too rattly or musical.
Simple items they are not used to, like empty plastic cups or a toothbrush (different textures) can keep them occupied for a while.

Walking around the cabin with a baby (between services, when not busy in the aisles, not obstructing a tv screen, and when its safe to leave your seat) is great, sometimes the baby is bored of their scenery and gets restless, then upset, you also may get other passengers stopping you to see your baby which creates a diversion for the child.

Hope this helps, the only thing I would suggest is that you check with cabin crew to ensure using anything smelly or electrical, or walking around their galley is ok by them on your flight, after all all airlines vary.

For the remaining 763 pages I have written on this subject today , please send and sae to.............!!

PS Nick Riviera, I'm British and very tolerant, and I know I'm not the only one.

Last edited by sixmilehighclub; 6th Apr 2004 at 13:48.