PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Real Pilots?????
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2004, 14:15
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Perhaps there's an issue here in how schools (and in particular CFIs) treat their younger FIs. Do they, for example...

- Pay them to do other work (and thus remain part of the business full time) whilst the weather isn't flyable, since any business will have work that needs doing?

- Try and make opportunities for their less experienced instructors to gain more real flying experience that can be passed onto the students?

- Treat their staff with the respect that they need them to treat their students (customers!) with?

I think, to be fair, that almost all CFIs do the latter, but I'm less convinced about the first two. And notice I'm not particularly blaming the "hours builders", they are people taking the best route available to them into their chosen career, but almost certainly don't have the money to go expanding their experience outside that relatively narrow objectives.

G

N.B. Aerobatic Flyer, having more than a nodding acquaintance with Test Pilots, I think you'll find that they are rarely averse from learning from anybody or anything - that's their job after all. But also, they have been specifically trained how to get into a new type and become proficient in it VERY quickly. That's not a skill routinely taught anywhere else - maybe it should be.