PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Real Pilots?????
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2004, 09:25
Gertrude the Wombat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why should the student pay for the hour builder who in 99% of the times I have encountered them try to make you feel honoured to be sitting next to them as they are enroute to the airlines.
I've never encountered that attitude ... but so many people do report encountering it that I guess I've just been lucky.
Give me a career instructor or an ex Mil or ex Airline pilot looking for fun teaching to be something back in anyday.
Oh yes. Or, test pilots who normally spend almost all their time on paperwork, so their employers let them do some instructing so that they get to fly more than once a month.

However:
In every other area that has instructors, the instructors have to have done the time in the field before they can teach. Teaching is the passing on of experiance and how has a low hours instructor gaiend this experiance?
A major exception is schoolteachers. Whilst there are programmes to get experienced people back into schools, and programmes to encourage career switching from something else to low paid low status school teaching (which are being surprisingly effective), it is still surely the case that the vast majority of teachers go from school to college and then straight back to school with no experience of real life at all first. This is the teaching model that is most familiar to all of us, as we've all been to school - hours building instructors are just following this model.