PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Real Pilots?????
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2004, 09:00
S-Works

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Tony R here. I think that Instructors whould have significant experiance as pilots before being allowed to teach. Why should the student pay for the instructor to go through his own learning curve?

To quote sensible:

"it gives students an opportunity to learn to fly (instructors work for very little) and in turn it gives the hour builder the chance to build hours for free and even get paid for the privilege!"

Why should the student pay for the hour builder who in 99% of the times I have encountered them try to make you feel honoured to be sitting next to them as they are enroute to the airlines.

Let face it driving an airbus/737 etc etc etc is hardly the elite or well paid job it was a few years. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against people wanting to pursue this is a career, in fact I have a good many friends who are airline captains. What I don't want is some 200hr wannabee pushing it down my throat that he is superior because he is only sat there on his way to the airlines!!!

I also dont' generally trust the judgement of someone who is prepared to get themselves £60k in debt to enter an industry that is stuffed full of wannabees when there is no work now or even on the horizon. If they can't make good personal judgements what are there teaching judgements going to be like?

Give me a career instructor or an ex Mil or ex Airline pilot looking for fun teaching to be something back in anyday.

In every other area that has instructors, the instructors have to have done the time in the field before they can teach. Teaching is the passing on of experiance and how has a low hours instructor gaiend this experiance?