PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Information on Mcc/Crm Courses
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2004, 20:47
80/20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for good clarifications and correction BillieBob.

First - you are right about the hrs.

I agree 100% when you say that CRM it’s not required at this stage.

I have seen low time students take MCC in typespesific FTDs and then they continue with a typerating. This makes it easier for them to pass the typerating

I would like to expand a bit on what I mean when I talk about “generic” MCC. The term “generic” MCC is interesting both when we try to interpret the intent of FCL 1.261 and when we try to design a good syllabus.

FCL 1.261 states in part that wherever possible, the MCC training should be combined with the initial type rating training. Combined courses tend to be less “generic” than the ones that have a "one shoe fits all sizes format". Nothing wrong with that as long as they don’t get so generic that they don’t cover essential elements.

One of the two largest manufacturers has this statement in the introduction of their manuals: “This manual is written under the assumption that the user has had previous experience and is familiar with basic pilot techniques common to airplanes of this type. Therefore, the operations manual does not contain basic flight information that is considered prerequisite training”. Part of this prerequisite training is practical MCC and should be covered in a good MCC course.
With practical MCC I mean relevant industry standard crew co-operation procedures. The major manufacturers use a number of official handbooks and orders to ensure that they stay within the industry standards when they design their manuals and procedures. Which also are the documents used by many regulators during the approval process. Examples of this are guidelines for checklist design to overcome human limitations. This includes items such as area of responsibility, how to ensure that the required actions have been accomplished, and verbally verify with standardized responses. When possible, checklists have responses which are consistent with the labeling on the switches and controls in the cockpit. The logic behind responses such as “checked”, “set” or “as required” is often not included in aircraft manuals. Some MCC courses are so nonspecific that they do not even include generic procedures such as those given in government handbooks and orders. I have seen MCC courses that are so “generic” that they look more like a JAR-OPS CRM course with LOFT sessions. (No teaching of basic MCC prerequisite knowledge).

My advice: Choose a MCC course that is practical, not too much “psychobabble”, and that will teach you practical crew co-operation and flight deck duties in accordance official industry standards.

Last edited by 80/20; 4th Apr 2004 at 04:52.