PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - too soon for an IMC?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2004, 10:19
cubflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First you have to decide Why you want to do an IMC rating.

If it is just to improve your flying skills and not really to use it afterwards, then fine do it now. You will learn stuff and it will make you a better pilot. But you could also do a lot of other things, like aerobatics, a taildragger checkout, farm strip course etc, that would probably be more useful for your every day flying skills

If you intend to do a commercial license or an IR soon, then do it now, it will be good practice.

If you are going to fly a lot and in an well equipped aircraft for the job and need to get back and forth in the weather, then yes, do it now and make sure you stay very current. But remember that to fly in IMC in the UK a lot of the time, you need an aircraft equipped for flight into Icing conditions.

But dont do an IMC course if you think that after doing it, you can fly once every couple of weeks on nice sunny days, but now if the weather gets bad, you can get back no problem becuase of your new IMC rating. You might be lucky and make it, on the other hand, you just might fly into that hill.

If you are going to fly in IMC you need to be very current. And that means current in flying in nasty bumpy clouds- not just on a smooth sunny day with the screens up, they are two different things!!

Personally I didnt do an IMC rating until I had about 1500hrs (over 10 years) I only did it then as cheaper practice before doing an IR. Now I fly IFR every day (but with a nice autopilot and flight director) and still fly just VFR only in light aircraft. Even though Im flying IFR every day, there is No Way I would get into a club PA-28 and go off any fly an instrument approach to minimas without a good few hours with an instructor again!