PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 407
Thread: Bell 407
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2004, 21:23
paco

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
Randy Bechtel did my conversion, and he strikes me as a guy that knows what he's talking about, especially as he used to be Bell's Chief Instructor.

Mr Selfish - these hardovers are not transparency - they are a sudden uncommanded movement of the cyclic to one side, uncontrollable even by big beefy guys who regularly bench press 180 lbs. We had one on the ground where I was working last Summer (nothing to do with cold weather), there were several others reported and one not reported (shame on the very large company involved). It is entirely possible this condition was responsible for the deaths of one or two highly experienced pilots. I believe there have been 9 or so incidents, and the machine was not far off being grounded - in fact I believe Ontario MNR did just that.

There have been some thoughts that it could be water getting into the hydraulic fluid, and creating an ineffective mush, even though both fluids by themselves would do the job. However, that doesn't explain the hardover - the current opinion is that the accumulators aren't dumping at the same time, or rather one may be dumping and the others not. Who knows? I know that I don't plan to fly one until it's sorted, hence my contribution in the other thread about giving it all up for the risk (but never say never!!).

Then again, the jetbox used to be a killer, and now it's officially the safest single-engined aircraft, including fixed wing.

Phil