PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - linton briefing 6apr04
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2004, 14:08
BEagle

Received 333 Likes on 116 Posts
Once upon a time, long long ago when we had half an air force, there were fluctuations between front line needs and the output from the various FTSs dotted around the country. A bit like a surge alleviator between an energy source and a power consumer was the number of various places where people could hold, augment, do nothing, fly cadets or whatever - even a tour as a Fighter Controller or Air Trafficker whilst waiting for the next panic reaction from the front. I knew a chap who was holding at an AEF waiting for an OCU slot - he used to go back to Chivenor every few weeks for a Hunter trip or 2 to keep up to speed! After my Gnat course I held for 6 weeks at Wildenrath doing this and that before going back to do a pre-Brawdy Hunter refresher course.

But not now. Nowhere near enough holding slots, AEF jobs, etc to soak up a temporary surge. And when all the contractor FIs finally can't get their legs over the cockpit sides, who'll replace them? A dreadfully unstable, yet beancounter pleasing system has been imposed - and it could well be about to go critical....

Still 70 new aircrew jobs at Virgin Atlantic, wasn't it...."The new positions are mainly operational staff with as many as 700 cabin crew positions, 70 flight deck and 300 at Heathrow and Gatwick airport......."

Things are looking up in the civvie world. If they offer you a desk job, give 'em the finger, take redundancy and sort out your CPL/IR.......