PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet (merged)
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2004, 17:30
Artificial Horizon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well well, things are certainly hotting up in this post then!!

I have read it with interest and can see both points of you, it certainly is interesting though how posts like this degenerate very quickly into 'who is the better pilot' someone with 200 hours or someone with thousands of hours. To be honest I think it is impossible to say with certainty. The only thing you can say is that logic would suggest that the more experienced you are the better all round pilot you will be, notice I didn't say the more talented or skilled pilot but the better all round pilot, there is a difference.

When it comes to employing pilots at an airline like EasyJet the recruiters will be looking to fill the vacancies with pilots from all experience levels, it is no use to them hiring all pilots with 1,500 hours because who are going to be the longer term F/O's. They need to hire some lower hour guys as it ensures a proportion of pilots who will be F/O's for a little longer and hey, if they can recruit anyone through some sort of 'Sponsorship' scheme like the TRSS or CTC then all the better because they save on the wage bill aswell.

Now as a pilot with over 2000 hours, I like LukeSkytoddler have done all sorts of wierd jobs to build those hours and at times it is frustrating when you keep hearing of 200 hour pilots gaining employment straight onto jets when it is something you are desperate to move onto aswell.

It can feel that you are climbing the stairs slowly but surely then every now and then someone jumps on the express elevator straight to the top!! Just because I feel like that sometimes, doesn't mean that I think I deserve the job more. Good on those who get a jet job at 200 hours, this will always be a reality in the UK and Europe (almost unheard of elsewhere in the world). We all just need to respect each other and not B*tch and moan when others are getting employed over ourselves!!

Times will improve, heres hoping we all meet on the flight deck soon regardless of 200 or 2000 hours in you log book.