PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Wales from another valley ?
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2004, 17:13
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Returning to the Brussels theme, I checked the CAA provisional figures for February 2004 which show a total 256 pax travelled on the service between CWL and BRU during that month.

With four Air Wales rotations per week and if my maths are correct, this gives an average loading of around eight (approx 17% of the ATR 42's capacity).

Even to a non aviation person such as me it seems that Air Wales would have to charge a hefty fare even to break even.

For comparison the BRS-BRU route carried 5285 pax during the same period but, given that they have three rotations each weekday and two on Sundays, even this gives an average loading of just under forty, or slightly under 50% of the SN Brussels RJ 85's capacity.

On the face of things not brilliant either, but I am sure those that know will tell me that yield is the important thing rather than load factor, and perhaps February is not the busiest month for either airline.

I have no idea of either Air Wales' or SN Brussels' yields, and I suppose they are commercial confidences anyway.