PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R22 Corner
Thread: R22 Corner
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2004, 20:18
Gaseous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PA42

Cant speak for Robbie blades but when I got my Enstrom (which lives outside) I was advised to keep the blades covered when not in use as environmental variables (sun, temperature variation,humdity?) cause deterioration in the bonding adhesives over time. The blade covers are reflective silver so I suspect exposure to sun may be the concern. The blades are painted white on top which keeps them cooler in full sunshine. Enstrom blades are lifed on condition and the usual failure is debonding. Not a study but advice given to me by an experienced owner.

Watching the blades flap about in last weeks gales also made me think that windy conditions could affect the blades. It was alarming enough to make me go out in pouring rain and put the tiedowns on!

Also unflown is not not unstressed. Droop forces are considerable and must be allowed for in the design of the blade. These forces are totally different to flying forces. Just think of the constant stress at the blade root - just where they fail- caused by the weight of the blade supported at one end. Try picking a blade up by one end! Was this stress made worse by adding tip weights?? Perhaps this is Robinsons problem.

Last edited by Gaseous; 25th Mar 2004 at 20:38.