PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R22 Corner
Thread: R22 Corner
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2004, 14:23
CJ Eliassen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CJ Eliassen, mate, I hate to be picky, but you either need to learn to read or need to do another physics course. If the blades have more enertia, then surely they will require more torque to turn them.......... thus requiring more tail rotor to stop machine from spinning about the place. I may only be a pilot but I did learn a little bit about them before they let me lose on them.
You might want to take your own advice.

Take a spinning disc that weighs 2000 pounds and another that weighs 20 pounds and put them in space. You spin both up to the same constant RPM the same as a helicopter. Which one requires more torque to maintain the same speed? They both require 0 torque because they will spin forever without any resistance. Its not the weight you are applying torque to over come, its the parasitic drag and the induced drag from the lift produced. The exact same amount of torque is applied to a heavy set of blades as a light set of the same design.

Acceleration and deceleration of the blades is the only time torque will effect the speed of the blades. So, heavier blades will spin up slower than lighter blades with the same torque applied.

Tell me how that physics course goes for you.