PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question about seniority list merge.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2004, 02:33
TWApilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't want to start an argument, but I must correct the comments about the TWA/AA merger.

The fence around TWA did not protect captain jobs for TWA pilots. In fact, every single TWA F/O has been furloughed, and many TWA captains with in excess of 16 years have been furloughed. Several hundred TWA captains with over 16 years were stripped of ALL their seniority.

The intent was not to protect the careers of any TWA workers. The intent was to eliminate the careers of as many TWA workers as possible (ALL flight attendants, including those with over 40 years of service, are furloughed).

Only a handful of TWA captains were merged into the AA seniority list, with a loss of over 20 years. The remaining 1,300 TWA pilots, including several hundred captains, were placed at the bottom of the list, below newhires at AA.

There were over 3,000 pilots hired at AA several years AFTER I was hired, yet I was placed on the list below all of them and I was subsiquently furloughed.

This was NOT an integration to be held up as an example for any future carrier. It was an outright violation of the Railway Labor Act which requires Binding Arbitration (which we were denied).

The sad thing is, the AA pilots have destroyed not only the careers of thousands of TWA workers, but also hopes of any other airline employees facing mergers in the future. I really don't see how they can sleep at night.

TWA gave Ozark pilots Date of Hire. AA gave AirCal Date of Hire. But the current feeling of the AA pilots is "pull up the ladder because I've got mine." They have advanced their own careers by standing on the shoulders of the TWA workers whose seniority numbers and careers they have taken. It is really, really, disgusting.

I just hope what the AA pilots did doesn't set a precedent, but I'm afraid it will. They have left a black mark on the industry which will be there for a long time.

Last edited by TWApilot; 23rd Mar 2004 at 02:49.