PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Disbandment Options...
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2004, 20:43
SirToppamHat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINOR UNIT BASING STUDY

Originally posted this as a new thread, but the way this one's going thought I would relocate it.

For some months (years?) now, a study has been going on into the viability of continuing to operate the number of 'small RAF units' that we currently have. I believe it is called the 'Minor Units Basing Study'

The Study was expected to be completed before Xmas 2003, and results announced in Jan, then Feb, then Mar now possibly Apr 2004.

Amongst other things, the expansion of Scampton seems to have been considered as a home for several other units, including TCW, 1 ACC, ASACS and a number of others. This would, in many cases, lead to closure of existing units, so the issue is quite sensitive in areas where unemployment and the local economy are an issue.

Our local MP visited the Min AF this week, but would not give out any information on TV other than to say he was 'disappointed' with the outcome of his discussions (I believe Coltishall and Neatishead were his particular areas of concern).

Does anyone out there have any idea whether and what decisions have been made? Does anyone have any firm idea when the results are to be announced? Will those of us affected be the last to find out?

STH