PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing a PA - 28 Warrior
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2004, 20:43
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
It's not in my experience an aeroplane that appreciates any more speed than is absolutely required. The POH says initials of 70kn slowing to 63 with full flaps at 50 ft. Lightweight I have found that its safe to let it creep a couple of knots down on that but not below 60, but any increase in speed is a chronic recipe for float.

The loud and timely artificial stall warner, not to mention high back-stick forces and moderate buffet mean that you'd have to be a lobotomised gorilla to accidentally stall a Warrior on finals, and control is excellent right down to the stall.

Interesting that the POH doesn't recommend any speed but 63, nor any flap setting but 40° - then again it doesn't include any landing data but at MTOW either. When I practice flapless approaches, I usually use about 75 initials slowing to about 68, it does however use a lot more runway flapless.

I find that if speed does drop too much (by which I mean below 60) a trickle more power generally sorts it combined with a very slight push on the yoke, but I usually don't use much power, and try to be in a position to close the throttle at about 100 ft (assuming that I got the touchdown judgment right, which to be fair is about 50% of the time).

For what it's worth I fly one from a 900m grass runway, but generally find I can do a gentle landing and be turned off at about 400m on my home strip - that's generally without any significant use of brakes but holding full back-stick right through the landing roll. It not being a particularly friendly runway for that sort of thing, I do my flapless practice elsewhere.

G