PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you really Want to Do This...??
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2004, 13:18
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a note from one of last years wannabies.

The job, is it what I expected?

err no not really.

All the things i thought were going to be major parts of my day arn't really.

The flying side of things only really accounts for about 30% of the days work. The rest is pre flight planning, legalities of if you are allowed to launch or not. Various cockups in ground handling, rush bags, catering, ops wanting things, tech problems etc etc.

The point where you get gear up is usually the easy bit. Getting from A to B safe is lacking the same drama as on the ground. Some times its a bit hair raising and you have to work hard other times its not like working at all.

Now the tiredness working a 800-900 hour year as an FO compared to the same number of hours instructing is incomparable. Which is why I proberly why i am feeling more alive than at any point since I started training.

As for the dumping the partner thing, yes I did that as well. Better do it sooner rather than later. Flying is a way of life which dosn't fit with normal jobs. Its the same with policing and any other 24h service industry. Which is maybe why so many IT types do so well in the industry, their hours actually get better. The hours i am working now are about 70% less than as a contractor and they are alot better planned as well. But then again i may be lucky getting a faily stable roster for 4 weeks 2 weeks in advance.

Am I still glad I became a pilot, hell yes.

But you do get out of the job what you put into it.
Personally i can't be arsed moaning about everything I knuckle down and get on with it, and try and learn as much as I can. But I havn't been on line for a year yet and don't have any idea what it was like in the good old days.

So in summary

I work less hours than I have done in the previous 10 years of my working life
I get a great buzz out of going to work (always wake up before the alarm)
And I am doing a job which if had been possible before I went to Uni I would have done at the age of 17 instead of 30.

MJ