PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you really Want to Do This...??
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2004, 14:12
Snigs
PPRuNe Knight in Shining Armour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maximum, now I see where you’re coming from, and I understand your reaction.

The reality checks here are sobering ( ). Sadly, I believe the mindset attached to the management of the lo-co’s with their lower margins etc. are here to stay and I’d be surprised if things change much for the better. I guess what you describe is the norm rather the exception with the lo-co’s.

The problem is that I’m a coward. Having spent the amount of money that I have on training I can’t turn to my wife and say “Sorry I blew that £60k darling (that bigger house you deserve, and all those nice holidays…..), but I’ve decided that I’m not going to be a commercial pilot after all” That just wouldn’t be fair.

I think that this is what you’re up against in trying to give us a realistic view from the flight deck. I don’t think (most) wannabes dismiss your advice out of hand, it’s stupid to ignore the people who know, but no matter how it’s depicted or perceived, I’m just going to have to find out for myself. Then and only then will I feel justified saying to myself and my wife and family, “OK I did it, it’s crap, I’ll cut my losses and consider it as a gamble that didn’t suit me. Now wasn’t there a job at McDonalds going?”

Then, Maximum, Towers, Scroggs et al I shall buy you all a beer (or a burger) and you can say “I told you so” as often as you like!!