PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The employees have no money, then let them eat cake!
Old 16th Mar 2004, 01:41
Ralph the Bong

Mates (commrades!), if you are NOT a member of the union, you are mad. Being a member of the union entitles you to representation and assistance if you are involved in an accident or incident. This alone should be sufficeint incentive to join. Engine out's suggestion of the list of pirate employers is not a bad one, however I suggest the converse view. That is, a list of the DECENT employers who DO provide proper conditions. The only problem is, I cant think of any. I heard of a certain operator who pays the award(which is commendable, but by no means unique), but uses a CASA approved(CAO 48 exemption) fatigue management system that results pilots putting in 50-60 hours a week, cleaning aircraft and other odd jobs after flying. This equates to a wage of around $13 per hour. As George Handle says, this indicates that the regulator is complicit in the degradation of industry conditions.

As an aside, a mate from way back once got a job in FNQ flying a light twin to the resort islands. On arriving from Melbourne to start work, he was shown to his living accomadation. This was a room at the back of the hangar with a bed, desk, chair, kettle and toaster oven. The toilet and shower were at the other end of the hangar. His boss told him that as things were slow, that he could only pay him for flying time, at $30 p.h. On his first week, he flew 32 hours; wow, $960! His boss then told him that as things had "picked up" he could now be put on full-time and he was given $375. Next payday, the boss 'didn't have his cheque book with him', but gave him $100 to tide him over. Next week, the boss was 'out of town'. A charter had been arranged to fly some Cocky around for 3 days. My mate did this and at the end of the charter was given the $2500 fee in cash. He flew back to his base, arriving at about 9pm, packed his bags and drove back to Melbourne, pocketing the $2500 as 'undelivered salary' for 3 1/2 weeks work.

Someone above spoke of keeping a dairy; a bloody good idea. Did you know that many Airline Captains keep a general dairy of the days flying just in case they get a call from the Chief 4 days later to explain a seemingly trival event, such as a late departure? I spent some time in GA post Ansett and keeped a dairy of my flying with a particular company. The owner/cp not only flouted the law but also had some sort of behavioural problem that indicated that he was medcally unsuitable to engage in flight operations. In the end, I resigned and explained quite clearly the reasons why I was leaving, being that due to his behaviour, I could not be party to this man occupying a control seat during operations. I fully expected to be assulted ( as he had treatened me on the previous day) or, at best sworn at. Instead he burst into tears and explained that his wife had told him that he had a problem and should get help. I submitted a CAIR report about this suggesting that the director of aviation medicine investigate. This didn't happen. Instead, some inspector interveiwed him and identified me as the source of the complaint. This led to a my-word-against-his situation and no action was taken. However, if this company is ever involved in an accident, I still have my diary. And I would be quite prepared to stand as a witness and tell all.