PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly the Nimrod?
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2004, 19:16
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Waddo 21 to CGY 08 in time zero on the flying triangle.

Yes I did fly the Nimrod. Difference between the Vulcan thread and the Nimrod one is that the Nimrod is still operational. Yes we can read about SOSUS on the internet but what was it really used for ....

Then again when we saw a Russian MAY. Bit of a ROUGH sortie that one.

Then there were all sorts of ruses we got up to to try and win the game. One was the three pass limit for photographs of the Russian ships. Port - bow/stern - starboard. Nice pilot handling exercise and good snaps.

One day, the Sorum tug on the Shetlands. "Port side" - "Roger - 3 shots taken"

Round we went, running in, "stern to bow - no wake" "Roger - port side 3 shots taken"

Round again for the bow shot. "Running in" "Roger - port side 3 shots taken"

Each time the sod had turned on a 6 pence and presented the port side to us. Now the Ruskies were known to comlain if we exceed ed the 3 shot limit but we figured that as we had only photographed ONE side of the boat we were allowed two more goes.

Round we went and once again PORT side. Clearly they were trying to hide something.

Round again and once again they spun on a six pence. As we came up we rolled over the top and got a vert of the starboard side.

She waved at us from the bridge.