PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia: Training, Licence Conversion, Job Prospects
Old 14th Mar 2004, 09:36
overpitched

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Number9..

If you do your commercial licence a lot of your questions will be sorted out along the way but for the sake of conversation..

Obviously it depends on where you are applying for a job but to turn up in blue slacks anda white shirt for a job interview in the top end may not help your cause at all. Neither will irex or atpl.

If you get a job they will more than likely send you to a camp with 3-5 other pilots for extended periods of time with very little outside support. They will want to know that you are hands on and independant. More than likely the skills they will be looking for will be more along the lines of.....

can you survive without tv, radio, hot water and power
can you get on with 4 other pilots for long periods in isolation
can you fix a generator
can you cook
can you empty a chemical tiolet
can you drive a 7 tonne truck thru a flooded river

A suit and tie doesn't say yes to many of these questions and I think irex and atpl (to some employers in the bush) says I just want to get my time and get out of here.

And I wouldn't worry too much about how much time you might spend in the middle of nowhere because you may find like a lot of pilots do that it is a great life and the flying is the best you will ever do.

From what I have seen staying on the coast or in the city and getting good hours is like getting rich quick, everone knows someone that has cracked it big but in the end nothing works like work.