PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IR @ Tayflite Vs Multiflight
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2004, 00:43
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 227 Likes on 88 Posts
Asking for one school to 'publish' a 'pass rate' is too facile a solution to a complex issue.

The only people who could do it would be the CAA under a complex set of rules. Would tests discontinued due to Tech or Weather be training failures? If a school such as Exeter Airways which takes on a lot of converting ex-Mil pilots is compared on first time pass rates with a place like LFS which does not; well one is going to look much better on paper. Yet were you as Jow Wannabe to rock up at Exeter in full expectation of a first time pass you might a) be dissapointed and b) left floundering in the wake of the other students.

(To be fair to Exeter that probably isn't the case but its an illustration in point).

So raw statistics would be pretty meaningless.

And anyway - if first time pass rates became critical to FTO's business all that would happen is that a lot of candidates would be made to fly a lot more hours before being allowed to be put up for test in the FTO's aircraft. So you'd all loose out financially through over-training. The 'best' schools would become the worst offenders in over-training.

There's nothing wrong with a partial or a failure along the way in basic training. We've all been there me included and shortly after I was an IRI in Jerez... It makes no odds and in fact can be a useful anecdote at later airline interview..... So tell us about a time when you had to cope with personal failure in some way? etc etc

Go to lots of schools, choose one - THEN - work Hard at making it work for you. Don't expect it all to be perfect and be as critical of yourself as you are of your resources and instructors.

Its good practice to get used to coping with less than ideal training with people you don't actualy really get along with as this describes a great deal of later airline training that you will receive. It ain't all fluffy I can tell you.

Good luck,