PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The other E.E. classic, the Canberra. (Merged 23rd July '04)
Old 13th Mar 2004, 05:57
Beeayeate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Milt

Just how many variants were there excluding the B57.?

Twenty or more but there was/is only two basic "types" - those with the goldfish bowl canopy (B.2s, PR.7s, etc) and those with the offset "fighter type" canopy (B(I)8 and PR.9 only).

The most common "type" was the goldfish bowl Canberras and the variants in that type "family" are pretty much legion - including radio-controlled U.10s and U.14s for Woomera.

Of the two offset canopy "family" types the B(I)8 was in RAF service only with three squadrons (five if you count plate changes) but served in many variations of role and kit with a number of air forces. PR.9s have essentially always looked as they do now, but with many sensor suite upgrades etc.

And what ones still in service anywhere?

PR.9s still fly in operational service with the RAF's 39 Sqn. I believe the Indian Air Force still use one (or two?) of their B(I)58s as target tugs (1999 gen though). There are two Canberras flying in the States with a commercial operation - and earning dollars! There is a third Canberra in the States (Tom Foscue's) but that's currently up for sale I believe.

We have one still flying with the Temora Museum Down Under.

Yes, an ex-TT.18, WJ680 - "CT". There's quite a nice tale attached to that one, I may post it later. The nav involved in the tale is currently one of the nav's on the UK's only private flying Canberra - B.6 WK163 (the altitude record holding Scorpion Canberra).