PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blue Pullovers and Gold Stripes
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2004, 23:55
Sassenach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We've strayed of the thread somewhat. My original question was whether instructors in uniform intimidated students and made them less likely to ask questions or admit mistakes.

Personally, I've got no desire to be an airline pilot. I enjoy flying interesting aircraft, doing aerobatics and navigating my way on long cross-countries using good old-fashioned map, compass and stopwatch. I relish the opportunity to chat to experienced aviators, and have learned a huge amount by asking questions and discussing my mistakes. I can do all of this because I feel at ease in our flying club environment and because experienced aviators tend to be very open and approachable. Arrogance and big-headedness have no place in aviation, in my opinion.

Capt M - you're right that FIs in uniform look no more ridiculous than supermarket and fast-food workers. That's not saying much though, is it. And yes, I agree that it is the individual that counts - so often, however, the individuals with the most to offer have the least to prove. I do wear a flying suit in the Chipmunk, and would advocate instructors and students alike to do the same - that's down to practicality and safety (loose objects, copious oil etc.). In more modern tricycle trainers there's no real need. I would prefer to see instructors looking couth, smart, relaxed and uniform-free.

The worst offender I ever saw was at Stapleford. He came roaring through the gate in a flashy car with a posy number plate, all designer-sunglassed, cotton-shirted and epauletted up. He had his seat reclined back into the Italian racing driver position, his elbow out of the window and one finger on the steering wheel. He blasted his horn to shoo my colleagues and me out of the way and shot off into the distance with a squeal from his tyres. I saw him later giving a nervous-looking student a helicopter lesson.