PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blue Pullovers and Gold Stripes
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2004, 23:06
Capt. Manuvar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most instructors in other industries wear the standard shirt and tie. A lot of people expect a certain level of professionalism from flight schools/instructors. Not everyone learns to fly for the 'love of flying'. There are a lot of people see it as a career or business investment, and will not be too impressed by an FI in flipflops and shorts.
Most PROFESSIONAL pilots wear some form of uniform, i don't think FIs are or should be considered less professional than airline pilots, etc.
Most Police/EMS pilots wear growbags and gold bars and don't look like prats.
I detect a hint of jealousy among the anti-uniform brigade. I can bet you a fiver most of you have wished to have a professional pilot job but never got the chance. there's no point slagging of the fortunate few. I don't think that FIs in uniform look anymore ridiculous than supermarket/fast food workers who have to wear some of the most hideous colour combinations .
In the end of the day, its the individual that counts not the uniform they're wearing.
I'm suprised by the change in attitude towards growbags. a few months ago on this forum, most wouldn't be seen dead in one. there's been a similar change in attitude among private helo pilots towards bone domes. It must be something in the water.
Zlin526
there's more to learning to fly than handling skills. I wouldn't touch that instructor of your with a bargepole, as a give a few $hit$ about fire protection.
Capt. M (off to buy one if those transair 5-gold-bar thingys)