PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia: Training, Licence Conversion, Job Prospects
Old 11th Mar 2004, 18:28
number9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this has been answered a few times already but anyway
Yeah, when I posted the search function wasn't working - however I searched this morning my time and came up with a few good threads, even the 17-page one!

There are plenty of mustering jobs out there if you have extensive cattle experience and you can talk like a ringer. If not forget mustering, if you don't know cattle they won't give you a start... usually.
Hrm, I have to say that I didn't expect to have to know cattle. Though living in Africa, I do see a lot of them! And can talk like a ringer if I really have to

There are some tourism jobs around in the top end at Catherine or Kununurra but you may have to spend a couple of years up there before you get a start.
Spending 1 or 2 years up there, I would think, is fair.. however I'd really stop and think if you had have said "3-4" or "4-5". Like anyone, I guess, I wouldn't care if it's time spent mustering or hauling loads of manure, just a job getting hours would be enough.

I think that if you got your cpl plus a rating on B47 & r44 sell everything, go to the top end, and live there until you get a start you will probably be successful.
What about ATPL(H) and IREX? There seems to be two opinions on this, some people think that having both even if you've got less than 200 hours is a good thing (shows initiative, capacity to keep learning, etc); whilst the other opinion is that it's a waste of time until you need it and some even go so far as to say it can "mask" inexperience.

I could certainly afford to get my B47 and R44, though obviously paying for numerous hours is a different issue. I could even get a B206 endorsement, though I don't think there are any to fly!

You could also try the rock (if you do your licence with PHS) or the great ocean road.
Well, I'm a sandgroper by birth, so was thinking of Jandakot Helicopters. But, if it helps enough, I think I'd be prepared to uproot and learn at PHS. I'd want to be confident in that it would make a difference, though...

If you plan on getting your licence and then sitting in one of the cities and sending out resumes then spend your money on something else.

You need to commit to about 5-7 years in the bush to get a start and get your first 1500 hours. And hey it's a good life. If you're not prepared to spend that amount of time in the middle of nowhere choose a different career.
No thanks! Sitting in an office sending out a resumé doesn't seem to help anyone, so I definitely won't sit on that avenue. 7 years is getting toward the limit of how long I'd want to commit to, but if that's what it has to be then I guess that's it. I'm glad for the honest advice!

Mr Selfish: Have done, thanks! I'll also try reading up about the USA schools that offer J1 visas (and thus the 12-24 month tuition there), could be an avenue also.