PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blue Pullovers and Gold Stripes
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2004, 16:29
Sassenach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All interesting stuff - keep it coming!

I tend to agree that instructors trying to look like airline pilots just end up looking silly. This always runs through my mind when I see flying school adverts in the back of magazines, with jumped-up newly-qualified instructors blue pullovered and epauletted up to the nines. In my view, just because a school is training potential airline pilots, doesn't mean that silly uniforms are justified either - smart work clothes would be much better. I recently visited the Trafikflyghögskolan at Ljungbyhed in Sweden - all their instructors and students wear flying suits which, as Human Factor said, is far more sensible attire.

I think Dublinpilot's comment about the manner in which questions are answered, is also very important. Students should always be prepared to ask "why?", and not just take their instructor's answer as gospel. If the instructor cannot provide a convincing explanation of something he or she has told you, it's probably rubbish. For example, has anyone asked their instructor to explain why he or she has advocated flapless landings in a crosswind?