PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Airlines exodus of pilots to Dragonair
Old 10th Mar 2004, 18:05
AirNoServicesAustralia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok not a pilot but a controller working in the UAE, but very similair situation to the expat pilots. Tax free pay, medical cover paid for by company, school paid for for my two kids at a top notch private school, furnished accomodation paid for (ok its a 3 BR flat not a house, but pros and cons), return flight to oz paid for each year, water, electricity and telephone rent paid for, 8 weeks leave per year, and a nice golden handshake when I leave. I say that if you take the blinkers off and realise there is a great world out there, you can spend 5-10 years O/S and well and truly set yourself up.

I can understand the whole family happiness thing being a consideration, but for the life of me I can't understand why a single bloke who is a pilot or controller, would not take the opportunity to live overseas for 10 years, have the time of their life, make great friends, drink way too much beer, and go home with wads of cash.

Anyway each to their own.