PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The employees have no money, then let them eat cake!
Old 10th Mar 2004, 12:10
engine out

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The employees have no money, then let them eat cake!

Now excuse another rant and rave about the poor conditions that large numbers of pilots go through but was talking to a strange person in a bar and this is a b%&l tearer of a move I just heard about. One southcoast operator recently hit their staff up with a contract (after most staff had already been working for them for several years). This new you beaut contract included a one third reduction in pay and a waiver for workers compensation and super (is that legal?). I would have beleived this as a beer time story but have an inside source who has also read the contract.

The story gets better when one employee was presented with the contract during their CIR debrief, and after refusing to sign was told as a side bar that they had failed their renewal. This the person interpreted as being as a direct result of them not signing a new contract (if true the testing officer should have all testing approvals removed). The person passed their renewal the next day at YSBK. Quite rightly they made a few waves over the treatment they had received and resigned (can't blame him either). The company then bought him off and forced him to sign a confidentially clause as to not disclose the sum paid and that he would not persue other avenues of complaint. I wonder how much money they saved on new contracts compared to the hush money paid out.

This kind of action makes me sick, what is the industry coming too. I know there are good operators out there, I have worked for them and have friends that do to. Why would you work for this kind of company, even if you get paid badly else where at least they don't make you sign a contract giving them your soul and future. Perhaps its the lure of flying aeroplanes painted red and yellow instead of the standard white.

This industry is going to hell in a hand cart!