PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Airlines exodus of pilots to Dragonair
Old 10th Mar 2004, 04:54
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Add to that the cost to QF for promotional training once replacements have been given.........it all adds up.

But is fully tax deductible.
I've come to the conclusion, from my experience, that most airlines don't give a fig about "training costs".

At my present company we have calculated that the training costs of bringing a current pilot into the system is USD250k. This was confirmed as correct by the contracting agency.
Yet this company will bring - as an example - a B744 pilot on to the B737 for 3 years, and then send him onto the B777!!
This has been the system for the 5 years that I have been here, with the annual turnover around 12 (12 out - 12 in).

When someone figures out what accounting system airlines use they might like to post it here.

And yes, Dragonair have been busy recruiting and pay reasonably well, I've heard. They've even managed to attract Aussies from Silk Air and SQ.

The lack of $$'s in Oz (plus the possible, impending confrontation with QF's overpaid management) make employment as an expat. pilot a far more attractive proposition.

Australia's airlines are stepping stones - where inexperienced pilots can gain some airline jet time - before moving overseas to the REAL jobs, that will give you the financial capability of buying a house AND supporting a family!