PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dubai
Thread: Dubai
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2004, 00:43
ferris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carolosm.
You and many other pilots need to understand that if you have an emergency situation, you need to declare an emergency . As others have stated, you will not get priority unless you declare. This is a fairly broad ATC principle. "I'm a little short of fuel" or "we have a minor technical problem" just doesn't cut it. (I think airline spin doctors are actually affecting safety in this regard- but that's a whole other thread). These days, most aircraft are 'a little short of fuel' as they approach their destination, without actually having an emergency. It's a great way to jump the queue though, penalising companies who aren't 'a little short of fuel'. If you are following your co. SOPs, let them take the heat for fuel problems. At least one flight a day shows up with a 'sick passenger'. If it's an emergency, what is the problem with declaring it?
the captain of alitalia was so pissed off that he had to declare an emergency to use rwy 12R and save the life of this passenger
What a ridiculous statement.
now can anybody explain what kind of improfetionel people the controlers in dubai are??
For the National controllers, English is a second language. Do I call Alitalia pilots unprofessional because I frequently have to repeat instructions to gents with an interesting grasp of English? Please try and imagine the diffuculty of a young National trying to understand this situation. This is a very young country, emerging into the international world at a phenomenal rate, and to expect no teething troubles is unrealistic. However, let he without sin cast the first stone. Stories about Italian ATC or Alitalia pilots anyone?