PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The other E.E. classic, the Canberra. (Merged 23rd July '04)
Old 7th Mar 2004, 06:30
Vertico

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Canberra

Typical English Electric aircraft: aerodynamically fantastic/superb/world-beater/W.H.Y. As far as engineering and cockpit layout went - sheer cr*p.

The first time I flew one, I was amazed at the "disconnected" feeling between stick (sorry - control column) inputs and control surface response. The asymmetric handling was atrocious, largely because of that. The Meteor on asymmetric may have made your knee tremble after a couple of circuits, but at least you always knew EXACTLY what the relationship was between stick position and aileron position and rudder pedal/rudder position. Not so on the Canberra.

As for the cockpit layout, I still have my ETPS Cockpit Assessment report: "It looks as though the designer simply flung an assortment of gauges and switches around the cockpit and then fixed them wherever they happened to hit".

Also, the ONLY twin I ever flew on which roller landings were forbidden. Why? Cos the Avon 100 had such p*ss p**r acceleration characteristics that if you did try/need to go around again after touchdown, the chances of one engine failing to respond were far too great. One engine on 100%, the other at idle, is guaranteed to make you end up in the boondocks!

Is it possibly because the UK aircraft industry was smitten with "big ideas" rather than with grinding attention to detail ("too boring") that we eventually lost out to Boeing et al?