PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas FO's and SO's-Jetstar
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2004, 03:59
spinout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This all boils down to the fact that the Pilots in Australia are divided and the only way out of this is to unite under one union, the question is which one, APIA, AFAP, TWU, all are involved.
Some Qantas pilots have joined the TWU, most are represented by AIPA, Qantas Regionals, and Virgin etc. are represented by the AFAP, I think a few of the Jetstar pilots are also represented by the AFAP along with GA.
Now we all know that a union is just that, a union of like minded people looking after the interests of the group, and it is my personal belief that if we all consolidated under the banner/charter of the AFAP we would be better off, remember the members control the direction of the union. Just think how powerful the AFAP could be with a stronger membership, it could afford to employ a battery of industrial lawyers and negotiators.
I am sure there will be those out there that will say look what happened in ’66 or ’89 it was the AFAP that lost my job etc. but in truth it was you, the then membership of the AFAP that did those things, or maybe you were poorly advised, those things can be changed by becoming more involved in the election process as well as the hiring of industrial officers. The Australian Federation of Airline Pilots could be a great union given the right support.
I for one am not interested in AIPA, as it is obvious that they have very little say in what happens at Qantas anymore, management have taken control. AIPA could surly tare up some letters of agreement if they wanted to show some distaste in what has happened.
The TWU, well would you be a small fish in a big sea? Would you be forced into supporting industrial action for a group of people we have nothing to do with?